Pages

Subscribe:

Labels

Monday, July 18, 2011

Vacation -- Omaha, Nebraska - 7.1 - 7.4.11

Our first vacation during the kid's summer break 2011 - OMAHA, NEBRASKA.  Q put a shout out to all our friends and many decided to join us.  The Spezio's X 2, Dearth's, Cunningham's, Lauer's, and both "the mom's" joined us (Grandma Kathy and Grandma Judy) = 25 of us total.  It was nice because the kids had many friends to hang with during the trip.  And the guys had fun, too.....they got to play on the walkie talkies. 

"Gray Goose" lead us - "Hampster" followed - and "Big Bush" pulled up the rear.....those were our handle names on the walkie-talkies.     


The Agenda
Friday: Drive to Omaha, eat dinner, swim, bed. 
Saturday:  Henry Doorly Zoo, nap, eat dinner, swim, bed. 
Sunday: Eat breakfast, walk around downtown Omaha, see flooding at Riverfront park, eat lunch, drive home, eat dinner, bed.
Monday: Relax, unpack, buy fireworks and shoot them off at home, Louisburg fireworks, bed.
Tuesday:  Boo....go back to work!

Here are"The Moms" (i.e. Grandma Judy and Grandma Kathy).  Kathy tried to close her eyes in all the pictures but I got a slight sliver of eyeball in this pic.  Look closely and you'll see it.  Okay, blow the picture up and you'll see it better!


Look...I didn't take ALL the pictures.  I was there and have proof! 
Q and Kevin hanging out in the Desert.
Amanda crossing the rope bridge in the Jungle. 

Kevin soon followed but stopped to peek through the waterfall for a quick pic.  Later on, he was poking fun at me and saying I was too scared to cross the rope bridge.  Well, NO....someone has to take these adorable pictures!  


Kevin is such a great big brother and obliges Amanda's requests to ride some of the kiddie rides that he may have outgrown already.  OR, who knows, maybe he secretly hasn't outgrown them??


So, here was the highlight of the zoo trip for some of us, but NOT me.  The SKYFARI!  I had it all planned out in my head that Q and Kevin would taunt and torture me on this ride (because of my fear of heights) so they would have to ride together.  Amanda couldn't ride with me because I didn't want to scare her with my fears if she wasn't scared, so she rode with Grandma Kathy.  I rode with my mom; she was my ONLY safe bet.  I knew she wouldn't try to shake the chair and freak me out just for laughs...like some people I know!  I am proud to say that I rode the Skifari!  Now, I won't deny that I white-knuckeled the bars during the entire ride because we were really high -- too high, if you ask me; BUT I rode it and there are pics to prove it.  A little funny to share....when we got off the ride, Amanda walked up to me and said, "Aww Mommy...did you  have to ride with YOUR mommy because you were so scared?" -- that ornery little butt!   



Yay...Photo Op.  Kevin's favorite animal is a turtle. 


And Amanda likes turtles because Kevin does.


Of course, no trip would be complete without a souvenier!   The kids loved these slippers - which also turned out to be perfect for our cold hotel room.

Poor Amanda....can't ever figure out what to do with all her hair when she is swimming.  It always seems to be stuck all over her face.  Of course, these things don't matter to little ones; they just wanna SWIM!


I swam with the kids on Friday night when we arrived, so it was "The Mom's" turn to spend some quality time with their grandkids...hehe.  I got to hang out (dry) on the side and take pictures.


One of my favorite parts of the trip was seeing the flooding that is a result of water being released in South Dakota.  On our way up to Omaha, there were several parts of the highway that we had to detour around because the water was over the road.  This is the closest we could get to actally seeing the Missouri river out of it's banks.  (Click on the pictures to enlarge).


Another flood pic....


So, what did Amanda think of Omaha?....It was exhausting!


As a sidenote, I think I would have liked another day in Omaha but maybe we can remedy that by going again really soon!  Over all, it was a quick and fun little getaway with lots of great friends.  I would definately recommend Henry Doorly Zoo to all and in fact, there are many sights to take in, in the Omaha area that will keep you busy.  So, go there already!

0 comments: