Pages

Subscribe:

Labels

Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Louisburg Cider Fest - 2009

I have a special place in my heart for the Louisburg Cider Mill. First of all, my Grandma Helen once lived on the same farm that the Cider Mill now occupies. Secondly, at one point in my childhood, I lived on the same street and knew the families of Bosworths, Schiermans, and O'rears -- who own and operate the mill. Thirdly, I actually worked at the Cider Mill for a short time and made the donuts when I was in high school. And finally, I make new memories each year when I take my children to the Cider Fest to enjoy the sounds of Bluegrass music and observe the making of products that we sometimes see in our grocery store.



Kevin and Amanda gave the horses a whirl... or rather, the horses gave them a whirl. Kevin was good with one ride but Amanda needed another to soothe her "inner cowgirl". Luke didn't ride the little pony, I think he felt ackward riding an animal that was almost smaller than him.



Ahh... The facepainting booth. We look for it every year. I saved a few bucks this year because Kevin felt too old to get his face painted. I don't think this little princess will ever feel too old for face painting. A whopping $10 for this masterpiece!


Gotta make the donuts.... I captured the flipping aparatus in the donut making process. Sounds all technical, doesn't it? This is actually the machine that I used in high school to make the donuts.



Luke got the short stick on this deal -- hehe. This painted board had two girls and only one farmer. With it being very low on the ground, it was hard for Kathy and I to squat low enough to get our faces in the holes. It was obviously made for the little kids, but the big kids like to play too, sometimes.

SO, HOW TALL IS FALL?
Apparently, Fall is 3ft something, 4 1/2ft, and a little over 5ft tall.




What a beautiful day... a nice breeze, family, friends, and fun! I recommend this event to anyone in the area this weekend or next! I am thrilled to have picked up some apple butter and peach butter, cider slush (although they didn't have the cherry apple slush this year, that I absolutely LOVE), and the flavored honey sticks. The kids even enjoyed sitting a spell to listen to the bluegrass music (or hillbilly music, as Kevin calls it). And the corn maze was an hour of fun for us, too!

0 comments: